Im studying for my Film class and need an explanation.
This first discussion topic has several goals:
1. To explore a song from a genre of music that is new to you, in addition to reflecting on a familiar one
2. To practice listening closely to recorded music, with special focus on timbre and the voice
3. To practice describing your experience with music in writing, through a comparison exercise
1. Identify a song that you are already familiar with, and that features a singer. Any style of music is fine, as long as it has a vocal part that is sung (rap is also fine), and one main vocalist (not many).
2. Next, with any streaming platform (Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, etc.) or other means, find another recorded song with a vocalist that is in a genre (type) of music that is entirely new to you. It can be any genre at all, as long as it’s one that you have never really listened to before. (If you think you’ve heard every genre of music, you haven’t looked hard enough! Try listening to genres from other countries, for example. It’s fine to choose a song with lyrics you don’t even understand, though you may want to have a translation in that case.)
Suggestion: Consider pairing songs so that you have 2 highly contrasting genres, such as an R&B song and a song from a classical opera, or a heavy metal song and a Mexican banda song.
Update: TA Alex Lough put together a great Spotify playlist (Links to an external site.) with many diverse suggestions, in case you want some interesting suggestions for tracks to pick! There should be plenty of ideas there for both new and familiar genres (especially if you need some that are unfamiliar).
3. Once you’ve chosen both songs, listen carefully to each track several times, with special attention to the timbre of the voices. How would you describe the qualities of each vocalist’s sound, if you were explaining it to someone who had never heard them? Does the vocal quality change over the track or is it relatively consistent? How does each vocalist’s sound relate to how you experience the feeling or message of the song overall? Do you think that the vocal sound is processed with electronic effects, or is it more intended to sound like a natural human voice? These are a few examples of questions you might consider as you listen, and you might discover others. The point overall is to reflect specifically on the vocal timbre of each track, and what it has to do with your experience of the song overall.
Suggestion: Don‘t worry about “right” answers to these questions! Our experience of music is highly subjective. Doworry about listening closely and revising your work to try to find the best way to explain what you are hearing.
4. After listening carefully and taking notes, compose a thoughtful paragraph of at least a few sentences comparing the way vocal timbre is used in each song. Your response may include more than one paragraph if needed, but length is not a substitute for quality.
Suggestion: You should ALWAYS take notes and compose your response in a separate word-processing program or googledoc, not directly in the Discussion text box, to avoid the possibility of losing your work while editing, and also to retain a copy of your response outside of Canvas.
Revise your writing for clarity and concision of expression, as well as grammar and spelling.
At the top of your post, provide links (Spotify, YouTube, Apple Music, or other web based links) to both tracks, indicating which was familiar and unfamiliar, like this:
Familiar: <Title/artist here with link>
Unfamiliar: <Title/artist here with link>
When you’ve revised your post to ensure it is as well written as possible, post it below.
5. Finally, after posting your own response, you are also required to comment on at least one other student’s response, again posting a well-formed paragraph. You may comment on any other post you like, and it’s fine for multiple students to reply to the same post, or to create threaded responses.
Why should I choose Homework Writings Pro as my essay writing service?
We Follow Instructions and Give Quality Papers
We are strict in following paper instructions. You are welcome to provide directions to your writer, who will follow it as a law in customizing your paper. Quality is guaranteed! Every paper is carefully checked before delivery. Our writers are professionals and always deliver the highest quality work.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Reasonable Prices and Free Unlimited Revisions
Typical student budget? No problem. Affordable rates, generous discounts - the more you order, the more you save. We reward loyalty and welcome new customers. Furthermore, if you think we missed something, please send your order for a free review. You can do this yourself by logging into your personal account or by contacting our support..
Essay Delivered On Time and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
Your essay will arrive on time, or even before your deadline – even if you request your paper within hours. You won’t be kept waiting, so relax and work on other tasks.We also guatantee a refund in case you decide to cancel your order.
100% Original Essay and Confidentiality
Anti-plagiarism policy. The authenticity of each essay is carefully checked, resulting in truly unique works. Our collaboration is a secret kept safe with us. We only need your email address to send you a unique username and password. We never share personal customer information.
24/7 Customer Support
We recognize that people around the world use our services in different time zones, so we have a support team that is happy to help you use our service. Our writing service has a 24/7 support policy. Contact us and discover all the details that may interest you!
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our reputation for excellence in providing professional tailor-made essay writing services to students of different academic levels is the best proof of our reliability and quality of service we offer.
When using our academic writing services, you can get help with different types of work including college essays, research articles, writing, essay writing, various academic reports, book reports and so on. Whatever your task, homeworkwritingspro.com has experienced specialists qualified enough to handle it professionally.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our professional editor will check your grammar to make sure it is free from errors. You can rest assured that we will do our best to provide you with a piece of dignified academic writing. Homeworkwritingpro experts can manage any assignment in any academic field.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.