Im studying for my Art & Design class and dont understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
ASSIGNMENT: Often, portraits are more than a simple likeness of a person; they contain clues about historical, social, and cultural context as well as information about the sitters character and position. The French theorist Roland Barthes makes the distinction between “denotative” and “connotative” meanings of images. The denotative meaning can be understood as a literal, descriptive meaning, while a connotative reading of an artwork can expand meaning.
Select ONE of the following modern portraits for analysis:
– Oswald Birley, Arabella Duval Huntington, 1924 (The Huntington and Textbook – Wests)
– Edvard Munch, Self-Portrait with Skeleton Arm, 1895 (The British Museum and Textbook – West)
– John Singer Sargent, Mrs. Joshua Montgomery Sears, 1899 (Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and Text Eye Contact)
– Paul Cézanne, Madame Cézanne in a Red Dress, 1888-1890 (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
– Thomas Eakins, Miss Van Buren, ca. 1891 (The Phillips Collection)
– William Merritt Chase, Dora Wheeler, 1882-83 (Cleveland Museum of Art)
– Henri Matisse, Woman with a Hat, 1905 (San Francisco Museum of Fine Art)
– Pablo Picasso, Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, 1910 (Art Institute of Chicago & Textbook Eye Contact)
– Pablo Picasso, Dora Maar with Cat, 1941 (Private Collection)
Write a 2-3 page analysis of the portrait in which you move beyond a denotative description and explore the connotative meanings of the artworks. In other words, describe, interpret, and evaluate the personality, status, role, etc. of the sitter by explaining how the choices made by the artist contribute to the viewers understanding of who the person was. You might consider if the artist flatters, enhances, exaggerates, or hides aspects about the sitter and what affect these choices have on the viewers understanding.
1) You should have an introduction paragraph with a well-defined thesis statement where you identify the work of art and state the main theme(s) of the painting. For example Painted in 1900 by John Singer Sargent, Portrait of Dorothy is of a privileged, perhaps even precocious, young girl.
2) To assist in your analysis, you should describe what you see (denotative) and then explain how the details expand what we know about the sitter (connotative). You might consider historical, cultural, moral, and social contexts, attitude, pose, gesture, dress, space they occupy, and their involvement with the viewer, etc. Describe how these are reflected and what they do to the viewers understanding of the painting. Be selective, with such a short paper you probably cant cover everything!
3) Be sure to ORGANIZE your points each of which should support your thesis. Make an outline and work from a plan. Devote a separate paragraph to each of your points.
4) Do not offer your opinion of the artwork, or of the artists – avoid beautiful masterpiece and other superlatives. Do not state that this work is amazing or that this is a great artist that goes without saying. This paper is not about how much you like or do not like the painting.
5) In a formal paper such as this, DO NOT use contractions. Write do not rather than dont.
6) Do not write in first person avoid I, me, etc. Instead use terms such as the viewer, one, etc.
7) Be specific when discussing things like meaning, compositional elements, symbols / iconography, etc. Provide examples.
8) Biographical information on the artists is not necessary unless it supports your thesis, yet biographical information on the sitter may be very important in helping to analyze the painting.
FORMAT: 2-3 pages, double-spaced, 12 point font, 1 margins. Include a title for your paper and introduce the painting in the first sentence or two with name of artist, title in italics and date. Thereafter, refer to artist using last name only and do not repeat the date of the artwork. Edit paper for grammar and spelling. SOURCES: You must include at least 3 sources (NOT Wikipedia or Blogs). JSTOR articles, museum websites, etc. are excellent sources. Use footnotes or endnotes as necessary and include a bibliography of your sources; you may use any standard citation formation including Chicago Manual Style, MLA, or APA.
For information on writing about art history consult Sylvan Barnet or: https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/art-h…
Why should I choose Homework Writings Pro as my essay writing service?
We Follow Instructions and Give Quality Papers
We are strict in following paper instructions. You are welcome to provide directions to your writer, who will follow it as a law in customizing your paper. Quality is guaranteed! Every paper is carefully checked before delivery. Our writers are professionals and always deliver the highest quality work.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Reasonable Prices and Free Unlimited Revisions
Typical student budget? No problem. Affordable rates, generous discounts - the more you order, the more you save. We reward loyalty and welcome new customers. Furthermore, if you think we missed something, please send your order for a free review. You can do this yourself by logging into your personal account or by contacting our support..
Essay Delivered On Time and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
Your essay will arrive on time, or even before your deadline – even if you request your paper within hours. You won’t be kept waiting, so relax and work on other tasks.We also guatantee a refund in case you decide to cancel your order.
100% Original Essay and Confidentiality
Anti-plagiarism policy. The authenticity of each essay is carefully checked, resulting in truly unique works. Our collaboration is a secret kept safe with us. We only need your email address to send you a unique username and password. We never share personal customer information.
24/7 Customer Support
We recognize that people around the world use our services in different time zones, so we have a support team that is happy to help you use our service. Our writing service has a 24/7 support policy. Contact us and discover all the details that may interest you!
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Our reputation for excellence in providing professional tailor-made essay writing services to students of different academic levels is the best proof of our reliability and quality of service we offer.
When using our academic writing services, you can get help with different types of work including college essays, research articles, writing, essay writing, various academic reports, book reports and so on. Whatever your task, homeworkwritingspro.com has experienced specialists qualified enough to handle it professionally.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our professional editor will check your grammar to make sure it is free from errors. You can rest assured that we will do our best to provide you with a piece of dignified academic writing. Homeworkwritingpro experts can manage any assignment in any academic field.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.